Projects: Transportation infrastructures
BILBAO SOUTH METROPOLITAN BYPASS. PHASE 1
LAYOUT AND DETAILED PROJECTS, PUBLIC INFORMATION, D.I.A. AND EXPROPRIATIONS OF THE INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE FIVE SECTIONS BETWEEN TRAPAGARAN-LARRASKITU OF THE PHASE I OF THE VSM
- Site supervision of the infrastructure of the five sections between Trapagaran-Larraskitu of the phase I of the VSM.
- Detailed projects, public information, D.I.A., Expropriations of sections 2B Santurtzi-Portugalete and 3A, Portugalete-Trapagaran, of VSM phase I.
- Site supervision of sections 2B Santurtzi-Portugalete and 3A, Portugalete-Trapagaran, of VSM phase I.
- Detailed projects, public information, D.I.A. and expropriations of section 9, Peñascal-Venta alta of VSM phase I.
- Site supervision of section 9, Peñascal-Venta alta of VSM phase I.
Road-trunk with three lanes in each direction and a length of about 17.8 kilometres
Area of activity
Roads and highways
INTERBIAK Bizkaia- Bizkaia’s Infrastructure Agency
- Traffic and feasibility studies of the construction works.
- Profitability and economic feasibility report
- Layout and detailed design projects
- Expropriation studies
- Site supervision
The South Metropolitan Bypass was conceived as part of the Bizkaia 2003 Special Accessibility Plan and was designed to decongest the traffic situation at the entrances to the city of Bilbao from the A-8 freeway. It is one of the most important road works carried out in the Basque Country. The Southern Metropolitan Bypass (VSM) was planned as an alternative route to the A-8 freeway between the Pobeña Viaduct (Muskiz) and the Kortederra area, on the border between the municipalities of Galdakao and Amorebieta. It has a total length of 36 km.
The first phase of construction extends from the Santurtzi junction to the Larraskitu junction, at the height of the current junction of the East Bypass, totaling 16 km. This first phase is configured as the solution to the congestion problems on the section of the A-8 between Sestao and the Sabino Arana access to Bilbao.
The first phase of the bypass has a trunk road with three lanes in each direction and a length of some 17.8 kilometers, half of which have been built under tunnels. To overcome the difficult orography of the surroundings and to avoid as much as possible the environmental and visual impact of the new road, five tunnels have been built, all of them double: Argalario (2,150 meters), Mesperuza (708 meters), Santa Águeda (2,030 meters), Arraiz (2,273 meters) and Larraskitu (965 meters). Together with the trunk of the VSM (AP-8), it has been necessary to build four new junctions: Ortuella – Portugalete – Trapaga (A-8, BI-3747, BI-3748, BI-3749), Galindo (Ballonti Axis), Kastrexana (BI-636/Cadagua Corridor) and Larraskitu – Buia (A-8, AP-68, BI-613/Miraflores).
Overall, the construction of the roads and links of the bypass required the construction of: 21 viaducts, 5 double tunnels, 2 false tunnels, 4 underpasses, 3 overpasses. Eleven existing overpasses and underpasses have also been modified, including the control building in the toll collection area. The total planned works amounted to around €495 million.